Cabo da Roca is the western most point of continental Europe. This area has stunning cliffside views that sweep over the Atlantic Ocean. A famous Portuguese poet once described Cabo da Roca as the place where “the land ends and the sea begins”. Cabo da Roca can be visited as a part of a day trip to Sintra from Lisbon. This post covers information on visiting Cabo da Roca from Sintra including important notes and must know tips.
Where is Cabo da Roca
Cabo da Roca is on the western coast of Portugal about 40 kilometers west of Lisbon. My recommendation is to visit Cabo da Roca as a part of your visit to Sintra (which is a town I highly recommend on any Portugal itinerary). The distance from Sintra to Cabo da Roca is around 17 kilometers or a 25 minute car ride.
Visiting Cabo da Roca from Sintra
Cabo da Roca is a straight bus ride away from Sintra. Although just 25 minutes by car, it takes anywhere from 50 minutes to an hour to get to Cabo da Roca from Sintra by bus because of all the stops it makes.
Buses run every 30 minutes with the first bus leaving Sintra at 10:10 AM. The last bus departs Cascais at 8:40 PM, which is 20 minutes from Cabo da Roca but check the time of the last bus with the bus driver as this could change.
Your other option is to take a taxi there. It costs around 25 euros one way.
You can also drive if you have a car, although I don’t recommend you bring your car to Sintra as it’s hard to find parking.
What to do In Cabo da Roca
Most people go to Cabo da Roca for 4 things!
- Say they have been to the western most point of continental Europe
- Take a picture at the monument that says they are at the western most point
- Take in the cliff side views, including that of the lighthouse from 1758
- Catch the sunset from the western most point
Cabo Da Roca in Pictures
I have visited Cabo da Roca both in the summer and winter and here are some important notes and tips.
- The time of the sunset can vary depending on what time of the year you are visiting. So, it’s super important to check the bus time table with the time the sun sets.
- You can find the bus timetable HERE. There are not a lot of options if you miss the bus back to Sintra
- In the summer months, double check the time of the last bus with the driver
- Your other option here is to take a taxi to Cabo da Roca from Sintra and then ask the taxi driver to wait for you (obviously this will be an expensive option…but it is an option)
- In the summer months since the sun sets late, remember to time the visit because there’s not a lot to do here, so you will be just hanging out and paying the driver in vain if you come too early
- You will not find taxi drivers anywhere around so make sure you make pre-arrangements if you want to take a taxi back
- If you are busing, especially during the winter months where the sunset is earlier, keep ample time for the bus to make all of it’s stops. In other words, don’t time it to just catch the sunset. Instead, leave Sintra early, leaving enough time
Did you find this visiting Cabo da Roca from Sintra post useful? Please let me know by liking/commenting below or sharing this post on social media! Thank you!!
Pin this post for later!
Check out my detailed post on Sintra HERE or below!
See my post on a detailed itinerary for Lisbon HERE or below!